UoR want to raise £3,000 to help provide food and resources to the homeless community of Reading
University of Reading Sikh Society are currently raising money for the Homeless through a Just Giving Page. This is an independent student-led initiative, aiming to act on the universal Sikh principles of compassion, humanity and equality. They have currently raised about £2,400 and would appreciate it if you could donate to support the initiative, enabling us to carry out this seva to the best of our ability.
Part of being a Sikh is to serve humanity and to provide to the less fortunate, through Sewa. The word “Sewa” (selfless service) is a word you will hear about a lot, not only as a Sikh, but as a human, regardless of religion- and it is only right that we act upon this when we can.
“Sewa is such an inexpressible virtue which can’t be stated in words. so instead of trying to define what Sewa is, let us see some cases which are the real motive behind sewa. Such Sewa turns out to be a fruitless deed, far from the true Sewa.
- It isn’t sewa if it is for the purpose of getting a tax deductible receipt.
- It isn’t sewa if your heart and soul aren’t in it.
- It isn’t sewa if it isn’t done with honesty and integrity.
- It isn’t sewa if it’s for building your resume.
- It isn’t sewa if it is meant to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things.
- It isn’t sewa if you need to tell others, now or later, that you did it.
- It isn’t sewa if lack of appreciation by others, or their criticism, drives you away.
- It isn’t sewa if you believe that it is your right to do it.
- It isn’t sewa if you have to fight against others to do it.
- It isn’t sewa if you snatch it away from others, to do it.
- It isn’t sewa if you begin to believe you’re the best one to do it.
- And, it isn’t sewa if it distresses you that others take credit for what you’ve done.”
This winter, The University of Reading Sikh Society are coming together to provide food, resources and positive spirits to the homeless. They hope that they don’t just put a smile on their face, but also to keep them from freezing in the cold weather which is fast approaching!
University of Reading want to raise an overall £3,000 to help provide food and resources to the homeless community of Reading. Please donate so that they can raise more money and carry out this sewa to the best of their abilities; helping as many people as possible.
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/uor-sikhsociety #RUSS #UoRSikhSoc