BBC Asian Network listeners vote for all time favourite Bollywood Song
BBC Asian Network listeners from across the globe have bestowed the accolade of greatest Bollywood song of all time upon ‘Baharon Phool Barsao’ from the hit 1966 film Suraj – as revealed by Tommy Sandhu in a special programme on Monday evening (May 27).
As part of the BBC Asian Network’s season of programming to celebrate 100 years of Bollywood, a team including presenters and producers, as well as Bollywood experts, shortlisted 100 songs from the World of Hindi Cinema released between 1940 – 2010, and asked listeners to vote for the nation’s favourite Bollywood song.
The panel compiling the 100 songs included Asian Network presenters, Raj and Pablo and Noreen Khan, British Indian rapper and hip-hop singer, Hard Kaur, Bollywood film expert, Dr Rajinder Dudrah and Indian film critic and entertainment reporter, Rajeev Masand.
Neila Butt, Editor, Music and Live Events BBC Asian Network said: “Bollywood is huge. It is an all-encompassing, massively popular topic for our listeners. For the past month, the Asian Network has been celebrating all things Bollywood. And what better way to continue the celebration than counting down the Top 100 Bollywood songs.”
Noreen Khan, BBC Asian Network presenter said:
“Bollywood has a global following and reaches billions. Audiences flock to the cinema to watch a movie at times just because of one song they’ve heard! A big part of its success and appeal is the music – the songs and music are the soul of the movie.”
Vyjayanthimala, lead actress in the film Suraj said:
“It’s wonderful to see ‘Baharon Phool Barsao’ being crowned the top Bollywood song of all time by BBC Asian Network listeners. Bollywood is such an important industry and there are some truly wonderful songs out there. I’m sure it was a hotly contested competition.”
The top 20
1. Baharon Phool Barsao – Suraj
2. Awaara Hoon – Awaara
3. Tujhe Dekha To – Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
4. Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh – Dil Apna Aur Preet Parai
5. Kabhi Kabhi Mere Dil Mein – Kabhi Kabhie
6. Tere Liye – Veer-Zaara
7. Yeh Dosti – Sholay
8. Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya – Mughal-e-Azam
9. Chaiyya Chaiyya – Dil Se..
10. Chalte Chalte – Pakeezah
11. Kal Ho Naa Ho – Kal Ho Naa Ho
12. Aaj Phir Jeene Ki Tamanna – Guide
13. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai – Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
14. Mauja Hi Mauja – Jab We Met
15. Ae Mere Humsafar – Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak
16. Chaudhvin Ka Chand Ho – Chaudhvin Ka Chand
17. Aaja Sanam – Chori Chori
18. Pehla Nasha – Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar
19. Dheere Dheere Se – Aashiqui
20. Chura Liya Hai Tumne Jo Dil Ko – Yaadon Ki Baaraat
The full list is available on the Asian Network website – bbc.co.uk/asiannetwork.
Throughout the day, listeners will have been having their say via a special blog – bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02lfvzq/live. And all this week they will still be able to get in touch and share their thoughts on the countdown.