KITES – 1st Indian film to break US Top 10 Box Office charts & Enters No 5 in UK Box Office
Box Office success of Reliance BIG Pictures’ ‘Kites’ soars at Box Office
India’s most truly international film project champions the Box Office domestically and internationally, marking the first ever Indian film to break US Box Office Top 10
Reliance BIG Pictures has set the temperature soaring by making ‘Kites’, the most awaited film of the Summer , a staggering Box Office success, both domestically and in international territories. ‘Kites’, starring one of India’s most idolized artists Hrithik Roshan and South American screen star Barbara Mori, marked the widest ever release of an Indian film to date with 2,000 screens in India and more than 500 screens overseas.
- In international markets ‘Kites’ has reached the Number 5 spot at the UK Box Office with the second highest per screen average in the top ten.
- The film has also become the first ever Indian film to break into the US Box Office Top 10, flying in at the Number 10 position during the opening weekend.
- The film grossed over 21 Crores Rupees on the opening day in India, the second highest opening ever, trailing only Reliance BIG Pictures’ December 2009 release, ‘3 Idiots’.
- ‘Kites’ has also been more widely reviewed by international critics than any other Indian film with director Anurag Basu being hailed by US film critics.
- The film opened to rave reviews and full houses in 30 countries, again an unprecedented achievement.
One of the most ambitious and truly international films to emerge from India, ‘Kites’ heralds a new milestone in international filmmaking by crossing geographical, cultural and social boundaries. The film is directed by the pioneering Anurag Basu and produced by veteran of Indian cinema, Rakesh Roshan, under his Filmkraft banner.
‘Kites’ centres around two immigrants – one from India and one from Mexico – both navigating life in North America in pursuit of their dreams. Destiny unites them through the most unexpected twist of fate, which culminates in a mortally wounded man being left for dead in the harsh terrain of the Mexican desert. The man is ‘J’, but barely recognizable as the once carefree and street-smart trickster that he was. The only thing now keeping him alive is his quest to reclaim the love of his life – ‘Linda’.
Following hot on the heels of the original release, in an unprecedented approach to film-making, renowned Hollywood action director Brett Ratner (the Rush Hour series, X-Men: The Last Stand), in association with Reliance BIG Pictures, presents ‘Kites: The Remix’ releasing on 28th May 2010 – the same film, played to a different rhythm and reworked with a younger, hipper, faster edge for action audiences.
‘Kites’, presented by Reliance BIG Pictures, is in cinemas worldwide now.
‘Kites: The Remix’ releases on 28th May.