THE BLACK PRINCE chronicles Maharajah Duleep Singh’s lifelong struggle and daring journey of self-discovery in order to reclaim his identity
THE BLACK PRINCE is a period drama, filmed widely across the UK and India.
· As the last King of Punjab, THE BLACK PRINCE chronicles Maharajah Duleep Singh’s lifelong struggle and daring journey of self-discovery in order to reclaim his identity, his faith, and the Kingdom that was rightfully his. This ultimately leads him to meeting his mother after 13 years of her being in exile. THE BLACK PRINCE spotlights Queen Victoria’s cordial relationship with Maharajah Duleep Singh, as he begins adjusting and embracing the English culture he was drawn to at the age of 15.
· He had a fragile relationship with Queen Victoria, who was Godmother to his children.
· The film also sheds light into his upbringing as an aristocrat in the UK who converts to Christianity under the influence of his foster parents, but later longs to return to his Kingdom, mother and roots.
· His character, as it evolves is torn between two contrasting cultures – his royal ancestry from the Kingdom of Punjab as its last King, set against his upbringing in the UK as he embarks in a new journey of exile, away from his mother.
· It is said that Queen Victoria had stolen the Kohinoor from the young Maharajah.
The multitalented Satinder Sartaaj is a singer-songwriter with a resume of achievements that includes poetry, composing music and now acting. He is known for creating work that excites and enlightens his fans with insights into deeper meaning. Sartaaj captivates audiences through his words and lyrics, and promises to do the same on the screen in his leading role as Maharajah Duleep Singh in THE BLACK PRINCE.
Jason Flemyng is a familiar face to UK audiences with appearances on both film and television. Appearing in critically acclaimed films such as Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (2000), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)and X-Men: First Class (2011), audiences have most recently enjoyed him in the BBC’s SS-GB and Sky-1’s Jamestown. The versatile Flemyng takes on the key role of Dr James Login in THE BLACK PRINCE, as the film explores his relationship with Maharajah Duleep Singh.
THE BLACK PRINCE also features a talented supporting cast including Amanda Root, David Essex OBE, Keith Duffy, Sophie Stevens and veteran actress Shabana Azmi who portrays Rani Jindan, the exiled King’s mother.