BBC Asian Network at Electric Proms
More acts confirmed to perform at
BBC Electric Proms…
…Donovan… Nitin Sawhney… Jonathan Harvey… Seth Lakeman… Vashti Bunyan… Billy Bragg… Benjamin Zephaniah… Fink… Will Young… Tina Grace… Tigerstyle… Catch 22… Deadly Hunta, Instrumental… Rodney P… Eva Abraham… The Landscapers…
The BBC today announced the full programme of free music events taking place at the Roundhouse as part of BBC Electric Proms, from 25th – 29th October.
Artists including Donovan, Nitin Sawhney, Billy Bragg, and Benjamin Zephaniah will all take to the stage in the intimate FreeDM studio space to create unique up close and personal performances. These artists join an already packed bill of talent including Kasabian, James Brown, The Who and music from THE GOOD THE BAD and THE QUEEN. Every artist performing at BBC Electric Proms has created a new and innovative performance for the event.
The new acts confirmed to perform are:
Sat 28 Oct – BBC Asian Network
BBC ASIAN NETWORK NIGHT. Punjabi folk brothers Tigerstyle are trained in classical tabla, gurmat sangeet, punjabi folk music and instrumentation. They will bring to life their unique take on contemporary music ranging from hip-hop to drum ’n’ bass and dance – with full backing from a string quartet and guest vocalists Raghav, Gunjan, Shveta and Des-C.
In addition, the second FreeDM studio session on Saturday night will feature individual and collaborative performances from London-based composer and producer Niraj Chag, and the Bombay Dub Orchestra (producer Garry Hughes and string arranger/composer Andrew T. Mackay). Former Stone Roses guitarist Aziz will also appear to complete the line up for a truly unique evening.
Weds 25 Oct – BBC Radio 3
– DISCOVERING MUSIC. This BBC Electric Proms night will feature a workshop around two mixed media pieces of electronica music by composer Jonathan Harvey. He’ll be in conversation with Radio 3 presenter Stephen Johnson who will guide the audience through the internal workings of the music to gain a deeper understanding. The workshop will be followed by an audience Q&A and a complete performance of the pieces.
– JAZZ DUOS EVENING. This jazz concert will feature three groundbreaking collaborations in which legendary British jazz musicians join forces with the most exciting players from the current crop of young British jazz talent. The unique performances, inspired by the recent interest in classic jazz from the mid 60’s – 70’s, will be created by:
Hugh Hopper (electric bass) with Seb Rochford (drums), John Surman (sax) with Dave Okumu (guitar), and John Taylor (piano) with Tom Arthurs (trumpet).
Thurs 26 Oct – BBC 6 Music
– HUB SESSION. BBC 6 Music decamps to the Roundhouse for a Classic Hub Session at BBC Electric Proms. The session will feature interviews and performances from the politically inspired singer/songwriter Billy Bragg who will return to the Roundhouse to play a combination of classic tracks and new material. He'll be joined on stage by one of the most exciting new singer/ songwriters on the block – Devon-born Mercury Music Prize nominee Seth Lakeman.
– FREAK ZONE. In a particularly special night for Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone, folk singer Vashti Bunyan and 60’s legend Donovan will unite for a unique collaborative performance. Bunyan and Donovan were part of the folk scene in the 60’s and 70’s. Her debut album came about when she set off in a horse and cart for the Isle of Skye to meet Donovan – the songs she wrote on the way formed the tracks for the album ‘Just Another Diamond Day’.
Fri 27 Oct
– SOLD ON SONG. As part of Radio 2’s Sold on Song series, Donovan joins BBC Electric Proms for a second night, talking to Bob Harris about his music, career and life, and illustrating his songwriting by performing tracks. This night will span the breadth of Donovan’s career from his early hits in the 60’s through to his more recent jazz influenced output.
NITIN SAWHNEY. The multi-talented producer, songwriter, DJ, and orchestral composer curates and performs at an evening in the FreeDM studio which draws on contributions from a host of vocal talent including; Laura Izibor, Fink, Natacha Atlas, Reena Bhardwaj, Tina Grace, and a guest appearance by Will Young. Backing is provided by long term collaborators Yeastculture – VJ’s who mix film images with live feed footage of the event as it takes place.
Sun 29 Oct – 1Xtra
WORD SOUND POWER. This special event on the closing night highlights the powerful fusion of words to music. Three acts selected by hip hop MC Rodney P, will perform throughout the night as follows: Catch 22 featuring Deadly Hunta, Instrumental featuring Rodney P & Eva Abraham, and The Landscapers featuring Benjamin Zephaniah. What unites all of the acts is a love of hip-hop, dance culture, and the desire to inspire through the power of words. With a focus on lyrical content, the evening will emphasise the positive messages MCs and poets have.
BBC Electric Proms will be broadcast across a number of BBC television and radio networks including BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3, 1Xtra, 6 Music, BBC Asian Network and BBC World Service. There will be extensive online coverage, and digital television viewers will be able to enjoy performances on demand at the push of the red button.